Processing steps for EEG
EEG data cannot be analysed directly. Several steps need to be taken to prepare the data for analysis. The subsequent steps are:
1. Remove line-noise (filtering)
2. Robustly reference the signal relative to an estimate of the “true” average reference. Click here to get more info on why we use the average signal as a reference
(2b. Detect and interpolate bad channels relative to this reference)
3. Define trials / events in the data. Potentially via an additional output file from an experiment.
4. Identify noisy trials / events
5. Analyse the remaining data